Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Service, a sanctifying experience



When we come to realize the many blessings we have been given, we may ask ourselves, "How may I show my love to God in return for all I've been blessed with?" The Book of Mormon prophet, King Benjamin, taught us a way to show our gratitude and love. He said, "And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God (Mosiah 2:17)." Just as this video clip illustrates, one of the best ways to serve God is to serve those around us. Christ gave us this same principle when He issued the Parable of the Good Samaritan. This iconic parable came in response to the question, "Who is my neighbor?" Since we are all children of our Heavenly Father, we are commanded to help and lift those around us because they are all our neighbors. As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints we actively seek out opportunities to serve. By doing so we build the community and lives around us while building ourselves at the same time. Some of the greatest memories I have are not when I received a gift or honor, but rather as I gave of myself in time and effort to help someone less fortunate. As I think of the weeds I've pulled, the lawns I've mowed, and the wood I've split, I can't ever remember the exhaustion or soreness, only the joy that comes from service. In the world today there is a lot of focus on individuals and ways to achieve personal success. In fact it may be said that we live in a very "me" centered society. In the midst of this outlook, the God-given commandment of service stands even more important and prominent. By looking beyond your own personal needs and desires in order to help someone else, you set yourself apart from the world as a true Christian. In speaking of this Christian service James writes, "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world (James 1:27)" In closing I would ask everyone to look more closely to those around them for opportunities to serve. By doing so we are able to, in the words of James, practice "pure religion" and "keep [ourselves] unspotted from the world. I know that service is ordained of God and will draw us nearer to Him as we follow this commandment. I also know that as we serve, the joy and happiness we draw from the experience will likely outweigh the joy of those we serve and by far overshadow any perceived discomfort we felt as we served.

No comments:

Post a Comment