Wednesday, April 6, 2011

How Can I Draw Closer to Jesus Christ?





As the Easter Season approaches our thoughts are often turned to the Savior and His sacrifice for us. Many of us may have asked ourselves, "What can I do to draw myself closer to Him?" In John 14:15 Jesus Christ Himself tells us what we need to do, it reads, "If ye love me, keep my commandments." Only seven small words but in them are contained the invitation of Christ, keep my commandments. We may then wonder, "what are the commandments we are to keep?" On this subject the scriptures are full of instruction given to prophets anciently. From the Ten Commandments to the Sermon on the Mount the Bible is full of Christ's instructions to those who wish to be called His disciples. In John 13:34 we read, "A new commandment I give unto you , That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." Loving God and your neighbor was always a central theme in the teachings of Jesus Christ. We show this love in a multitude of ways. In the Parable of the Good Samaritan, a man shows love toward his neighbor by physically saving him from suffering and nursing him back to health. We may also show our love through words spoken to those who are emotionally or spiritually hurt. By showing this love we draw nearer to Christ as we obey his commandment. In the Book of Mormon the Lord gave further commandments regarding his people. They were told to have faith in Him, repent, be baptized in His name, and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost (3 Nephi 27:19-20). By doing these things, we are able to use His sacrifice in our lives. We are able to receive the cleansing power of His Atonement that allows us to be free from guilt, sorrow, and anger. Thus cleansed from these and our sins, we are able to once again enter the presence of our Heavenly Father and live with Him forever. What an amazing promise! The Savior waits with outstretched arms to all those who will seek his will and do it. I promise that as we follow the example and commandments of the Savior we will be able to stand by His side and traverse life's difficulties under His protective care. I have experienced His love and guidance in my life and I know that you can as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment