Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How can I know what is true?

question-mark 



In the world today there seems to be an endless supply of different answers to every questions. In the midst of this confusion we may find ourselves asking, "How can I know what is true?" The first source for answers to which we should always turn is our Heavenly Father. In James 1:5 we are directed, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbaideth not; and it shall be given him." Joseph Smith, following this divine counsel, sought God in prayer to discover the truth about which church was true. In response to his prayer he received a glorious vision of the Father and the Son that ushered in the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Priesthood authority necessary to establish His church on the earth again. Just as Joseph Smith, we can receive answers to our prayers as well. By sincerely asking God in faith, we are able to receive answers and understand what is truth. Another way to discern what is from God is given to us by Christ Himself in John 7:17. Speaking of His Father He states, "If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself." The method is also described by the Book of Mormon prophet Alma when he said, "But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words (Alma 32:27)." Both of these instructions invite us to do the same thing, live the commandment we are given and judge with the help of the Holy Ghost if it is true. I have followed this counsel many times in my life and discovered the truth for myself. When I live the law of tithing, for example, I pay attention to blessings, happiness, and increased presence of the Holy Ghost that comes as I live in accordance to that law. From these evidences I realize that yes, tithing is ordained of God and yes I will grow closer to Him as I obey it. I invite everyone to follow these courses of action to discover what teachings in the world are true. I promise that as you do so you will become more receptive to the Spirit as you seek its guidance and look for the answers to your prayers. The truth is out there and it can be found in the words of the ancient prophets contained in scripture and the words of a modern day prophet. As we live the words they teach listen to their counsel we will discover that they do in fact speak in behalf of God Himself. I know this to be true because I have prayed and acted on the words of Thomas S. Monson, current President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and prophet in these days. Of these things I leave my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment