Friday, June 3, 2011

Growing at the Lord's Pace




During my time as a missionary here in Western New York, I have enjoyed trying to grow various plants. I first started out growing seeds from an orange I had for lunch and then later I tried many things ranging from mangoes to starfruit. I was always so excited when I would see the plant peek above the soil and start to grow. From this I could tell that the rest of the seeds I planted must also be able to sprout, and sure enough they would. During the next couple of days, I would marvel at the rapid growth the small seedling would make as it started unrolling leaves and gathering sunlight. After about a week, however, I would notice that the rate of increase would slow until it seemed as if the plant was doing nothing at all. At this point I would just place the plant in the window and leave it to its own devices. Slowly but surely the plant would continue to grow and develop. Through these experiences I have learned one important lesson: the plant grows according to its own timetable, not mine. As I thought about this, I was reminded of Alma's comparison of faith to a seed. He said, "Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your hear, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves -  It must needs be a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me (Alma 32:28)." Just as Alma invites us to experiment by planting the seed of faith in our hearts, I also experimented with the seeds I would plant. The first indication that the seeds were "good" was shown when they sprouted. After that, I had to continue to water the plant but also realize that I could not dictate how fast it grows. So it is in our lives as well. We can have faith in Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith, but we must wait for the Holy Ghost to teach us line upon line, precept upon precept, until we grow and become the tree of which we are only now seeds. Our potential is far greater than our current condition and if we will but allow ourselves to learn and grow at the Lord's pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment