Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Prophet Joseph Smith



Listening to these members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints bear there testimonies of the prophet Joseph Smith brings the Spirit into my heart. The story of Joseph Smith is one of love and compassion from our Father in Heaven. Just as God had called prophets anciently to lead and direct His children, He again reached out in the spring of 1820 and called a prophet to the earth. Through the revelations given to Joseph Smith, we are able to more fully understand Christ's sacrifice for us and how that shapes our lives today. Through Joseph Smith the power of God, the priesthood, was once again restored to the earth after its absence since the time of the Apostles. With this power and authority, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was once again restored to the earth in its fullness. This church is not just another church talking about Jesus and His life, it is His church established once again with the power and authority necessary for salvation. What a blessing that is for all of us! Because of this, I know that as I live faithful to the commandments and my covenants with God throughout my life, I will be able to return to Him and live in His presence forever. As they explain the life and mission of Joseph, I love how they talk about being able to relate to him. I can testify that I feel the same way. Just like all of those people, I also had questions and sought answers to the seemingly endless supply of problems in life. I have found answers to those questions through the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I am eternally grateful for Joseph Smith and the sacrifices he made to give me this blessing. As I read and pray about the Book of Mormon and many other teachings of the Prophet, I can feel the Holy Ghost confirming to me that the words are true. This message of truth and happiness is what I strive to share with those around me as a missionary. I can promise everyone that if they will read the Book of Mormon and sincerely pray about it, then they will receive the same witness that I have. And when we come to know that the Book of Mormon is true, we will also know by that same spirit that Joseph Smith was a true prophet called of God. The Book of Mormon prophet Alma spoke of this same witness when he said, "And this is not all. Do ye not suppose that I know of these things myself? Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true. And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety? Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me (Alma 5:45-46)." With Alma I leave my testimony of the Book of Mormon, that it is true and that it was translated by a prophet called of God, Joseph Smith. I know of these things because I have had the Holy Ghost testify to me of their truth and divinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment